Friday, October 15, 2010

Fabric Covered Binder

I am a binder girl all the way.  I have binders for everything: coupons, magazine pages, exercise routines, recipes, craft ideas, my postcard collection...

I really like the recycled paper ones at Target, but I have a bunch of the plain plastic ones too.  To dress them up I thought I'd try covering them with fabric.  Just winging it, I managed to cover one last night with a combination of fabric, heat n'bond and fabric glue.  Here are some pictures of the process.























I ironed all of the folds before I ironed the heat n'bond tape, and I folded the edge of the fabric under the metal binder thing so that it would look neat.  I opted to cover the whole inside too, because I knew I would have to cover up at least half of the pocket anyways.  I hope it stays together!  So far, it's pretty sturdy.  It's not adhered to the binder in any way, so I might try and take it off and wrap the binder in some batting and put the cover back on.  I like it enough the way it is though, so I may not even try that.  by the way, this is my bill paying binder.  :)  I keep all of my current bills in folders inside and a calendar of when they are all due.

8 comments:

  1. Love this! I have on my personal-project list to design a cool recipe binder. I'm thinking about doing one that's already has the plastic cover on it just because I don't want to mess the fabric/paper up in the kitchen all the time. Decisions, decisions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I too am a binder girl. I keep everything in binders. Although I am a scrapbooker, I must admit that I have not decorated any on my binders at this point! Maybe you have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! Very cool post! I might have to try that out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marianna,
    I've used the plastic ones before and covered a piece of cardstock in fabric and tucked them inside of the clear view cover. That would stay clean in the kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray!!!!!! I'm reposting this on my blog so everyone can see how awesome your craft is! =) love it! thank you x10000 =)

    How did you find me? i'm stoked! =)

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone once gave me a gift of a binder that had been customized like this and that was over twenty years ago - it still looks beautiful and is so unique. I love things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm a binder girl too! I even had a binder for my collection of paint chips. I love how you covered this one. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!