Monday, July 19, 2010

Crustless Mini Quiches

I don't really use a recipe for this meal, but I throw in whatever sounds good.  :)  I'm not very good at following recipes when I have them, and meals I can make without having to follow instructions are my favorite to make.  So I'll just tell you the basics, and if you have any questions let me know in the comments. 

Necessary ingredients:
milk
eggs
salt and pepper to taste
cooking spray, butter, or margarine

Optional ingredients:
bacon
ham
crumbled sausage
sliced chicken sausage links
green pepper
olives
chopped spinach
chopped tomatoes
minced onion
cheddar, Swiss, or feta cheese (or all three!)
asparagus
red pepper
broccoli
fresh minced garlic
zucchini or squash


Spices I sometimes add:
dill
rosemary
garlic salt
celery salt
onion powder
thyme

I start by preheating the oven at 350 or warmer and greasing a muffin tin.  Then I beat 4 or 5 eggs in a bowl with about a half a cup to a cup of milk, add the spices I'm going to use and set that aside.  Next I pick and choose what ingredients I want to use.  (It's usually whatever is in my fridge or freezer that week). 

Some of my favorite combinations are:
  • ham, cheese and onions
  • bacon, asparagus and feta
  • spinach, tomatoes, olives, and feta
  • chicken sausage, peppers and cheeses

Some vegetables taste better sauteed first- like onions and peppers.  Others are fine to just cook with the egg mixture.  When you chop the tomatoes, it's good to seed them first because the extra moisture in the seeds can make the quiches watery.  

Once I have all of my ingredients chopped and prepared I layer them into the cupcake tin, keeping some of the cheese for later.  Then I pour the egg mixture evenly over the other ingredients, topping with the extra cheese. 

I'm not positive how long these normally take to bake, but it's a shorter time than a quiche in a pie plate.  I want to say, 10-12 minutes at the most, and I like the edges of mine to be crispy and brown. 

These are great for lunches, or quick breakfasts and I like to freeze them for later.  I've been on a low-fat kick lately, so I have cut way back on the amount of cheese I use.  But in my opinion, lots of cheese makes them very tasty!  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!